Sunday, August 23, 2009

Shifting Gears

The painting bug really took hold over the past few weeks and I found myself completing a number of models over the last days of summer vacation. Once again the Warmachine/Hordes models drew me back to them and I finally completed a few things that had sat half started or primed for ages.

First up, I new I needed a second Warlock for my Trollbloods. I have loved the Grim Angus model since I first saw him and I finally got around to painting him. I wanted to really make him stand out, so I decided to go all out on his base and really add some extra details to him.



The tree on his base is from the GW Tree's and I used some Hudson and Allen leaf scatter on his base and on the branches.
Next up I finished off a Troll Impaler that had sat primed in my "waiting to paint" pile for some time.


I had recently finished my Troll Champions unit, so to go with them, I completed the new Troll Hero model.


In addition to the painted models, I also got another unit ready to paint for the Trolls - the Pyg Bushwackers. While I like these models a great deal, I wanted to add something extra to them. The model that is laying down had a coonskin cap on, so I thought about giving the rest of them hats. The Perry Civil War plastics have some great hats on the sprues so I added these to the models. I also created a scenic base for the prone model with another GW tree branch.


Finally, I wanted to experiment a bit with the Army Painter line of sprays. I like to use sprays as often as I can to cut down on the painting time and speed up completion of units. The Army Painter line has a great selection of colors to choose from. However, they are very expensive for what you get. A can is $16.99. That is a very steep price. But I gave it a shot anyway, just to see how they worked.
I sprayed a unit of Cygnar Stormblades with the Navy Blue spray. Since they are all armored up, it was a good choice to get the armor done quickly. After they were sprayed, I washed them with GW's Asurmen Blue to deepen the color a bit. I then went on to highlight them with the usual process of Cygnar Blue, Cygnar Highlight, and Delta Mediterranean Blue. Below are some shots of the Blue sprayed model and the final model.


Well, that's what I have been working on for the past weeks. Next up on the painting table is to finish up the Stormblades and paint the Pygs. I also have a few Cryx models I have been wanting to finish up I am experimenting with. Until next time, enjoy the models and have fun with your own hobby projects!