Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Tankbustas!

I have never been a fan of the Tankbusta models, so I knew that I would have to really think about how I wanted to create this unit. I like how they play (having a unit all armed with Rokkits is never a bad thing) and I thought long and hard about what I would use for these guys.

At a recent Bizarre Bazaar at the local Battle Bunker, I happened across an old friend of mine who was unloading all his Epic Orks. When I saw the Epic Stompas, I knew I had to figure out something to use them for. So for a whopping $5 I acquired a bag full of them as well as some great parts from an old Mega Gargant (more on that at a later date). Once I had these great little robots, the idea for making Tankbusta boys came pretty quickly. I knew I would have to do some minor conversions on them so they looked different from just the Epic model. I dove into my bins and dug out the last of my Pit Slave arms. I scrounged up as many Rokkit style weapons as I could for their launchers and the unit was underway.

For the Nob, I envisioned him wielding a remote control fairly early on. Coming up with the right way to make this proved a bit more challenging. I tried to create a set of arms actually driving a joystick, but that didn't work out. So I used the new plastic Nobz box to create a Rokkit Launcha resting on his shoulder from one of the new Uge Choppas. The remote is made from a Tau missile pod with small plasticard buttons added. The attenae is from a Cadian backpack and also a power node from the Macragge set. His backpack is a set of Mek's tools from a Gorka Morka mek. I can't wait to paint these guys up!

Let me know what you think.




2 comments:

  1. Epic gargants as tank bustas is truely epic. It brings to mind the old "Robotz" from 1st/2nd edition. (image of them: http://www.solegends.com/citcat911/c2067orkinventshunz.jpg )

    This really is the kind of idea where when I see it I just think "I wish I was the one who came up with that" So rest assured, if I come across a bag of gargants, I will be copying that idea for myself

    I also dislike the tankbusta models; they're all wearing big gloves for some reason. I've found that with most of the 5th edition ork models, they're really trying to give a cohesive look to each mob, which imo is very unorky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one heck of a great idea. Good job on the conversions too. Slap some paint on them and give us all an update. :)

    ReplyDelete