Tuesday, January 13, 2009

And now for something completely different...

So far I have been focusing solely on my Bad Moon Ork army in progress. But as any hobbyist knows, you often deviate from your current army at times to get out a conversion bug you have buzzing around your head.

That's where the Ironclad Dreadnought comes in. I actually built this a few months ago, but only recently finished the final details. He will be painted up for my Shadow Hawk Space Marine army.

I started out by adding the additional armor plates to the main body. I built these from old IG plates from a tank accessory sprue. I actually don't even remember the exact place the panels in question came from, I just know they were on that sprue. I think they were part of the old Hunter Killer missile launcher assembly. I cut these down and made the armor from them.

The Hurricane bolters are simply Marine bolters cut and added to an assault cannon dread arm. Some hacking and shaving and they fit nicely.

The Seismic Hammer was the hardest part. Figuring out what I wanted the arm the look like took the longest! I tried a few configurations before I settled on the final product. This is based on a CAD drawing from Games Day of the Ironclad. I used the fuel pods from a Land Speeder Multi-melta to make the piston style heads for the end of the arm. These are placed around the end of a power cell from the Battle for Macragge set (one of the small terrain pieces). Small squares of plasticard are used to fit into the finger holes from the power fist (that I cut out and smoothed down).

The final details are some ForgeWorld brass and the chainmail tabbard is from a Marine backbanner (from a Veteran).

1 comment:

  1. I know this is a couple of years old, but I'm seeing it for the first time. I'm looking into ironclads myself, and yours is very cool. Very effective end result while being a manageable conversion.

    Oh, very nice Orks as well!

    ReplyDelete